Rain in the morning can still fly later
Short answer: A rainy morning in Interlaken often turns into a flyable afternoon. Phone weather apps flatten the whole day into one symbol, which is weak in the mountains. Wait for your operator's update and check the hourly forecast.
I've watched tourists cancel their whole day because Apple Weather showed a rain cloud at 8am. By 2pm we were flying in sunshine with glass-smooth air and views from Lake Thun to the high Alps. The mountains change too quickly for one daily icon.
Paragliding weather is hourly. What matters is what's happening at the launch site when you're due to fly: wind, visibility, and rain on the slope.
We often cancel the first two rounds in the morning and get some of the best flying conditions of the week by afternoon.
Valley weather changes fast. Moist air clears, thermals build, wind shifts, and a day that looked dead at breakfast can become exceptional. I've had days where morning rain turned into afternoon flights that guests called the highlight of their trip.
What your phone gets wrong
Generic weather apps aggregate a huge area and give you one symbol for "Interlaken" for the entire day. They miss details like:
- Wind direction and strength at 1,600 m on a specific launch slope
- Rain moving through in bands, with radar showing it clearing while your app still says "rain all day"
- Temperature differences between the valley floor and the launch site
- Local valley wind missing from a city-centre forecast
What pilots actually check
We use MeteoSwiss, the official Swiss weather service. Live radar, hour-by-hour forecasts for the Bernese Oberland, and the free app. We look at it before every flying day.
This site also embeds a 7-day Interlaken forecast from MeteoSwiss Open Data. Use the hourly view and radar for the real picture.
What you should do on a "bad weather" day
Wait before you move your whole day around. Show up or wait for your operator's call. Keep your phone charged. Book early in your visit so you have spare days if weather blocks the first slot. See weather cancellations for the full picture.
If you're genuinely unsure whether to wait or reschedule, message me with your dates and slot. Ask early and I can help you avoid writing off a day that might still fly.